Friday, November 3, 2017

The Shape of Things to Come

Foreshadowing! Within the first 200 words! And I did it completely by accident.

I was just trying to get a little characterization in, while sending these people on their road trip. Already it's apparent that Tony is a bit of a dick. He tells this whole story about why he was running late for their early morning meet up and…

Here, just read it. And pay no mind to my use of "steerage." That's what I always call the cargo/back hatch area of a vehicle. I don't know what it's called.

Jesse turned from where he was positioning a cooler in steerage. “What, did you stop for coffee? And not bring us any?”

“Well, it’s a funny story. I was going to stop for coffee, but I was running late. Couldn’t find my keys. I had everything all packed and ready to go, but somehow keys were not factored into that. Or, actually, it turns out I packed them too. Anyway, I finally get all my shit together and go to step out the door, and this fucking car jumps the curb right in front of my place and takes out that fire hydrant. If I’d found my keys earlier, I could be dead right now! So then I had to stick around, give a statement, all that shit.”

Jesse pointed at the cup in his hand. “You literally have coffee, in your hand, right now.”

Tony looked down. “Oh yeah, after all that shit, I stopped for coffee. Sorry, didn’t get you anything.”

I just wanted a bullshit story about his coffee run. And this happened. Already, he's dodging death, from his point of view. I wrote it, moved on, looked back at it, and literally said, "Holy shit." Apparently, there's some subconscious part of my brain that's a better writer than the rest of me.

Other than that, I'm super behind on word count, so I'm going to cut this short and get back to it.

I'll see you Tuesday, hopefully with more words.

No comments:

Post a Comment