Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Open Doors

So it has come to this.

The Waffle House.

Now, I don't know a lot about Waffle House. We don't have them here. What I do know is they never close. Even in the face of natural disaster, if they can be open, they will be open.

I also know that the Waffle House is a nexus between dimensions.

I'm not sure how this happened. I was at a local Write-In (a gathering for writing during NaNo), and somehow or another, it came up that maybe Infinite Steve was kidnapping people to a Waffle House. That was silly. Too silly. But then a character was kidnapped, yes, by Infinite Steve: Evil Edition, and taken into the woods. Her friends followed, and came upon something so very odd, in the middle of the forest. And lacking any better, brilliant ideas, it became a Waffle House. Which then led to other worlds. As you would expect, from somewhere where the door is always open.

When I decided that someone needed to get kidnapped, I thought that it shouldn't be the girl, because of the whole damsel in distress cliché. But then I thought that it should be the girl, and she should rescue herself while the boys were still trying to figure out where she was. That's kind of where I am right now, so I don't really know how that turns out. What I do know is that this version of Steve somehow wandered out of his own world, via Waffle House, and can't find his way back. So, on the advice of a few fortune cookies, he kidnaps Andrea because he thinks she'll be the key to getting back home.

And then, of course, this Many Worlds network around the Waffle House opens up all sorts of further adventures. I could make them wander through fifty different versions of reality. All for the word count. I mean, a thousand words apiece, and there's 50,000 words right there.

I'm still trying to get a handle on the characters. Since I'm big on music, and have been crafting a soundtrack for the story, I've been trying to come up with at least one song for each main character. Their theme song, if you will. Something that they would relate to, that helps me to get into their head. I have them for the boys. But Andrea is proving difficult. Maybe she, like most of my female characters, doesn't have a personality. I'm not sure why that keeps happening. Maybe I just can't handle having more than two characters, because the first two hog all the personality and leave none for anybody else. Jerks. She needs some defining characteristic, and a theme song, and then we'll be good. Maybe by the end of the story I'll get her figured out.

I think maybe she needs chick music. Like, music sung by a chick. I don't have a ton of that in my collection. All the big female names of modern pop music are just… terrible. Yes, all of them. That's right, I said it. So the search continues.

I'll see you Friday.

2 comments:

  1. People often underestimate the reality-warping, oddball-attracting, dimensionally vitreous nature of the Waffle House. Since you've never been, I will tell you that the magic of the place lies in their truck stop ambiance and the food that somehow tastes amazing enough to make you forget that every surface you see is either greasy, sticky, or crusted in something that doesn't bear investigating. I am seriously jonesing for a plate of scattered, smothered, and covered hashbrowns even as I type this.

    Maybe for chick music you should go retro. Indigo Girls, Stevie Nicks, Pat Benatar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Truck stop ambiance" sounds about right for a place at the crossroads of everywhere. Even interdimensional travellers need to eat, and they might as well eat accessorized hashbrowns.

      Delete