Friday, November 24, 2017

Stalling Out

Basically the moment I dove into this Waffle House idea, I was tired of it. I know, it seemed like so much fun. I thought, this will solve all my problems, they'll just pass through the Waffle House to an infinite number of worlds, and I'll have all the worlds I need.

But, It's. Not. Working.

So Infinite Steve: Evil Edition (who is actually called Esteban) has kidnapped Andrea, because a series of fortune cookies told him to. Essentially, he thinks that she is the key to getting back to his reality, because the fortunes led him to her. They were:

  • Enjoy the good luck a companion brings you.
  • When the universe closes a door, it opens a window.
  • A chance meeting opens new doors to success and friendship.

Then, her friends were supposed to follow them through the Waffle House, and try to rescue her. But this opens up a whole slew of questions that I just don't have answers for, and are kind of critical to the story. Things like:

  • How are the boys tracking her to follow from world to world?
  • How exactly does the Waffle House/interdimensional portal work?
  • Why? Just, why?

If you can't tell, I'm getting super burnt out on the whole thing, and I am trying to keep it fresh and keep it moving. I have all these ideas of places that they'll go, but I don't want to spend any time writing about those places because they're all boring as hell.

I have a few more ideas yet that I haven't drug in and then got pissed off at. One of them might be interesting. Essentially, I splattered blood on the front of their car, from a collision that hasn't happened yet. Just to give myself something to write later. But I had a note in my little notebook, about a hairpin turn. A temporal hairpin turn, where they somehow double back and meet themselves going in the opposite direction. This note also has the very helpful "Is that nonsense?" added on. And yes, yes it is. But that's all we have to go on in this story.

Then I also have to write "The Hitchhiker aka One More Troubled Soul." That's the part where a murderer they came across earlier (but didn't realize it) returns and tries to get all murdery. This is immediately followed by something with a time loop. I really want to write this part, and before long I'm just going to skip to it and do the rest of the in-between later.

The trouble is, every time I go to write one of their adventured, I think that it's going to take all the words and I'll be back on schedule in no time. So I write and write and there's three pages, easy, but it's only 900 words. Am I just a bad writer? Maybe.

I'll see you Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. What?! You're not a bad writer. Every one gets stuck occasionally. This story doesn't seem to be your favorite one. It's hard to write it when you don't love it. Keep going though. 4 days left of Nano. Although I've jokingly said I worry about your word count, I have never doubted once that you will get your 50K in. Finish this one out so you can write something that you do love.

    ReplyDelete