Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Rewriting What We've Already Written

I'm going to take it easy this week, writing-wise. I have two finals on Thursday, back to back, and I should probably pretend like that's going to be a challenge. I can have a 5x7 "cheat sheet" for each, so I need to make those. That's going to be the majority of my test prep.

Last… whenever, I mentioned doing a revision. The story in question is The Midnight Carnival. It's something I did for Camp NaNo a couple of years ago. I had a collection of strange and interesting characters thrown into a weird situation. Namely, they were all trapped in a circus run by some kind of demon and his clown henchmen. The protagonist was a teenage runaway who was assigned the role of target girl. That paired her with the knife thrower (who throws knives around her), a guy a few years older than her. There was a whole unrequited thing going on.

But, a lot of it doesn’t make as much sense as it could, and the pacing in all screwed up. And then there's the pinnacle of literary issues: I have no clue how it ends. Our main character has to escape somehow. Doesn't she?

So I'm thinking that it might be time to revise it, either for July's Camp NaNo, or before then. Of course, I still don’t know how it ends. But I have some scribblings around here somewhere.

Here's the point where I futilely ask what you, my three readers, would like to see. The chances of me getting an answer is pretty slim, but here goes anyway.

  • Would you like to see the path of revision?
  • Also, would you like to see writing besides fiction? I've been known to write terrible poetry now and then.
  • What, in general, do you want from me?

No comments:

Post a Comment