Tuesday, May 24, 2016

A Brief Musical Interlude

Welcome to Mad's Music Corner. Pull up a chair. Get comfy.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned possibly talking about the music I'm listening to at the time. This is that. I was going to try to link my selections thematically or something, but that proved too hard at this hour. So if these do end up having a common thread, that's just a coincidence, or a sign that all my music is similar.

Simple Plan - Astronaut

I'm not great at metaphors. I'm an illiterate kindergartener trying to read Finnegans Wake. But I can tell you that this song is about loneliness and the inability to connect with other people. It uses the image of the loneliest person ever, someone alone and adrift in a little box, while the rest of the world forgot about them. I'm not going to lie, sometimes writing this blog feels like that. Like I'm just sending transmissions out to a world that isn't listening.

Oceans Divide - Barely Alive

I don’t have a lot to say about the content of this one. More about why I prefer the acoustic version over the regular one. Spotify gave me this one first, so I could just be biased towards it, but the regular version seems so caught up in its own production that it loses some of the emotion. Or something. What do I know? It's a good song, listen to it.

We Are the Emergency - All We Ever See of Stars Are Their Old Photographs

I'm going to warn you, it gets a bit screamy towards the end which is, if nothing else, kind of startling. I only recently (just now) learned what the words were. This one earned its inclusion with its very flowing sound. There are parts where the beginning of one line overlaps the end of the one before and it's just very cool.

That's all for this installment. I hope to maybe introduce people to music they've never heard. Or at least give you an idea of what I'm listening to while pretending to write. Anyone who's been paying attention might notice the lack of a certain band I've been obsessed with lately. That's because I made a deal with myself that I could only include one of their songs in Mad's Music Corner (ever!), and so I had better make it a good one.

Until Friday, when we talk about… something.

1 comment:

  1. Okay so you broke my heart a little when writing when you wrote that the simple plan song made you feel like this blog that nobody is listening. That made me sad I am listening. I am only one but I do really enjoy your point of view and you shared some pretty great music first one pretty cool second one talks about the mythology of god in it so I am surprised you listen to it but has a great melody no pun intended and you get a pass because it does not say which god. The third one I don't understand all the words but I like the mello with the transition into to screaming so once again you knock it out of the park with cool stuff. I also was supposed to be working on the next greatest sitcom in the entire world and instead I sat and listened to music and I will be honest was not really inspired to write but definitely inspired to listen to music. So what a cool surprise !!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete