Tuesday, January 3, 2017

A Spark of Something

Inspiration is a peculiar feeling.

For me anyway. I don't know about other people.

I was looking up… something. Okay, technically I was looking up serial killers who think they're controlled by demons, but that's not the point. I found myself on the Wikipedia page for Automatic Writing. And then, a link there in the side bar. Psychometry. "That's when you see the history of an object by touching it, right?" I asked myself. So I clicked the link.

It's like taking a drink of some heavily carbonated beverage and all of a sudden your head is full of fizz. It's this giddy feeling in your chest that says, "Holy shit, this. Do something with this."

I think part of it is recognition. I've seen things about psychometry before. Rose Red. The Dead Zone. Both Stephen King, incidentally. I get the same thing from towns that disappear and anything involving Alice in Wonderland (if that wasn't clear from the blog name). It's like just the mention of the word (or phrase) unravels the whole history of my experience with the thing. It's not just starting from a new thought and trying to create something out of it. There's a whole foundation to build on. Although, admittedly, it doesn't look like a sturdy foundation. It looks more like a web, reaching out in three (or more likely, four) dimensions, all tangled up and interconnected. But you could build shit in there. It's stable. -Ish.

So what am I doing with psychometry? Am I somehow connecting it with my previously mentioned Ontological Mystery idea?

I'm not sure yet, but I'm feeling it, which is more than I could say last week.

I'll see you Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment