Sunday, April 3, 2022

Camp NaNo 2022: April Edition

I decided literally on April 1st what I wanted to write for Camp NaNo. I had toyed with the idea of using the month for revising my novel, or maybe writing a new short story (not that I had any potential plots in mind).

In the end, I chose to go with something I've never done during a NaNoWriMo event: nonfiction.

See, I have this history research project that will require me to write several short summaries of events. I have a good-sized list of potential topics, I just have to sit down and write them. Enter, Camp NaNo.

This will be an interesting change from my usual writing projects. No more can I just make things up as I go. Now I need facts. And sources. But here's the thing. You may not know this about me. I love research. I was always better at the research than trying to regurgitate it into a clear and professional five page essay.

But this is my project. It doesn't have to be professional. It doesn't have to be five pages in proper essay format. I can be sarcastic and use sentence fragments if I want. And perhaps more importantly, it can be short. The two stories I have so far are between 400 and 500 words. Short, to the point, get in, tell an interesting tale, and get out. No word padding, so extra bullshit. 

So my goal for this month is to write a total of 3,000 words. That's somewhere between six and eight stories, depending on how long they each are. And yes, if you're wondering, I am planning on doing something with these. Something that will be easier if I have a stash of already written stories. With any luck, you'll be able to see the fruits of my labor in a few months or so. Depending on how much procrastinating I do. That's the downfall of self-imposed projects when you have poor self-motivation. And maybe that's why I'm telling you all this. So I’ll feel bad if I let you down. I mean, that was the reason for the blog in the first place, so maybe we're just getting back to our roots.

Anyway, I'm going to end it here, or I'll forget to come back to this and it'll never get posted.

I'll see you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment