Thursday, March 17, 2022

Surprisingly Good

I know I skipped February. I'm sorry. But I hadn't done any writing, so I had nothing to report. Instead, I was putting off writing in favor of a somewhat time-sensitive sewing project. And I was putting that off in favor of watching Netflix. But I finished the shows I wanted to watch. And then I made a skirt. So now I have nothing left to stop me from writing.

Camp NaNoWriMo is coming up in April. I have no idea what I'm going to do for it. Might write a short story. Might revise my vampire novel. So in preparation for the second possibility, I've started rereading the latest draft of Cold Blooded.

A lot of the time, when I'm drafting a story, I feel very self-conscious about how most of it is crap. But right now, I'm about halfway through the story, and it's actually surprisingly good. Parts of it are god damn hilarious. Do I feel a little full of myself, laughing at my own jokes? Sure. But they say you're your own first reader, and it you don't like it, why should anyone else. So if it's entertaining to me, I think that's a good start.

I know that a lot of the problems are in the second half, but I'm hoping that refreshing my memory of how good the beginning is will give me the motivation to fix the rest.

There is also the issue that the book is currently only about half as long as it needs to be, but one thing at a time. Fix the big overarching plot problems, then figure out where I can expand.

A short post today, because otherwise I'll put it off for another month.

I'll see you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment