Saturday, May 5, 2018

Utter Nonsense

What if each thing you ate had to have at least one ingredient in common with the thing you ate before it?

What does that have to do with anything? Not a damn thing. These are just the sorts of things I think at 1 or 2 in the morning.

I was going to write this post Friday night so that it would be up on Saturday, but by the time I got home, with a terrible headache, that just wasn't going to happen. So here we are. I'm doing my best. Or, well, probably not my best, but safe to say, not my worst.

Mostly, I'm getting distracted by the internet lately. It happens. You go to check reddit real quick or watch one thing on youtube and all the sudden you're a nerdfighter. Days pass, and you finally emerge, tear yourself away from the screen, and find that you are no longer the same person. You have changed your fundamental opinions, learned a new language, and grown a respectable beard. Somehow. How long have you been under? What year is it? Who is the president? Are we on Mars yet? And then of course after such a virtual binge, you need things like food, and sleep, and basic personal hygiene.

And that's why my post is late. I've been internetting. I've been an internaut. Traversing deep into the web.

Anyway, I haven't really made any new progress on The Long Road, which is kind of a moot point now, seeing as how Camp NaNo is over, so it's not like I have any sort of deadline. And don't get me wrong, I want to write it. I want to finish the damn thing, slap it on the internet, and make, like, five dollars off of it. That's all I want.

But right now I'm tired. My brain is tired. It needs a nice, easy little project. Something quick and fun. Frankly, I don't know what that's going to be, but I desperately need to step away from this novella for a bit. Before I start to hate it.

I want to write a short story. May is apparently short story month. I heard that somewhere. And it is apparently May right now. I can't really keep track any more. I've been sure for two months that I missed Mother's Day, but I don't think it's happened yet. I could be wrong. Either way, I guess, Mom, happy early/late Mother's Day, sorry I will forget/forgot about it.

Anyway (yes, I say that a lot, I get sidetracked easily, deal with it), you might ask what's stopping me from writing a short story or two or ten. Me. I'm stopping me. My brain is like chowder, ready to leak out by the teacup a la Phineas Gage. I'm sorry, I'm not sure if that's obscure or not. There are things that I hear about all the time, so I assume they're common knowledge, but they might just be the kind of esoteric knowledge nuggets that I happen to subscribe to. He was a guy who had a metal rod propelled through his skull at high velocity. Look it up.

God, this is what I'm talking about. I can't focus. I want to write a few fun little stories, but my brain is just giving me random trivia. I can't work like this. Maybe I just need to sleep.

I'm going to bed. I'll see you Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment