Wednesday, May 2, 2018

No Turning Back

So I didn't write a post on Saturday. You might have noticed. I only noticed at 12:30am on Monday.

Now, normally, I'd write a post, backdate it, and pretend it was there the whole time. But not today. Today I thought I'd just move on and start writing Wednesday's post.

And here we are.

I intended to spend 30 hours revising my story in April. I did not. I thought it would be easy. It was not. Sure, that's just one hour a day, but I'm lazy and not particularly motivated. I want the book to be done, and be good, but it's so god damn hard getting there. Since, you know, I'm lacking 60% of my plot. And everything I do write is crap.

On the bright side, at the very, very end of Camp NaNo, I may have finally figured out the most important, most burning question in my revision notes: Where the fuck are they going?

I realized, it's not the final destination that matters. I mean, yes, they should have a plan, maybe they're going to… St. Louis or something. But that's not what's so important. That's not why they keep going. They're not trying desperately to get to somewhere, they're just trying to get out. Imagine this: They take a shortcut on a narrow road, that should shave a few hours off their trip. They find themselves driving through a cornfield, things happen, the road washes out behind them, people start dying, realities start shifting. But they can't go back the way they came, so they just have to keep moving forward, driving for days, or weeks, trying to get back to the highway. The Twilight Zone doesn't come with a road map.

All the while, they're being hunted by a vengeful… something. Also a hungry cannibalistic something. And maybe an immortal, infinite something, but that's just Steve and he's mostly harmless.

Anyway, it all made sense when I brought down the scale. The trouble doesn't follow them across the country.  Just one little corner of the country. One weird little corner…

I still need to rest of a plot. And an outline. And a proper villain. But I feel like I know my characters a little better, so Camp NaNo wasn't a total loss. I wish I could take some time, and step back from this, and get some sleep, and come back for another go. But I don't have time for sleep, and I need to have something to blog about on Saturday, so I guess I'll just keep plugging away.

I'll see you Saturday. Maybe for real this time.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo.... That's good! They can't get back the way they came. They just want to go home and they have to go forward to do so. There is a lot of story in there. Lots of adventures.

    ReplyDelete