Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Weirdness: Now Pocket-Sized

I think the real question about the journey story that we need to answer is just how many L's "traveller" has. Spell check tells me it should only have one, but I'm defiant to the end. It's my understanding that that's the British spelling. I think it looks better. I've spelled it that way since I read H.G. Wells' The Time Machine in 12th grade. Originally only in the context of time travelling, but now in all instances.

I guess I just want to warn you. If I write this story, and share any excerpts, I don't want you getting all upset that I'm spelling "traveller" wrong. I know what I'm doing.

Here is what I know about the story. There are probably at least two characters on this journey. Sure, I could have a single traveller on this adventure, meeting people along the way, but I'm big on dialogue, and having at least two of them means they can talk the entire trip.

Yeah, I know, I had a whole character and a backstory figured out for the space story, but I just couldn't get into it. I needed something fun and that story was doomed to not be fun. So I'm starting from scratch with an outline that just says "Fun, damn it!"

I imagine that it starts out as a normal trip. A couple of friends set out on a road trip, or to backpack cross country, or whatever. And then things start getting weird. Pockets of strangeness. Weird mirror towns that seem familiar but aren't. Parallel dimensions. Quantum immortality.

"What?"

Here, okay, go with me on this. So, quantum immortality is essentially this: If every possible outcome results in a branching of the timeline, if there was a possibility of your death, there's also a possibility of… not your death. And from your point of view, your consciousness just keeps shifting to the version of reality where you survived.

Now imagine, a few friends on a trip. Things get weird. One friend, we'll call him Tony because that's appropriate to me, wanders off and gets himself killed. From the point of view of his friends. To him, he's shifted into another branch of the timeline. Now, the friends stumble into a pocket of weird, a slightly parallel world, and there's Tony, just chilling, wondering what all the fuss is about. So he rejoins his friends, and they carry on.

This is the kind of nonsense I'm talking about for this story. I think this is the kind of story that can only be written at 3am, because that's the only time it's going to make any sense to me. And yes, I'm writing this at 3am. And all this makes sense.

What do you think? What kind of weirdness might they encounter?

I'll see you Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment