Friday, October 20, 2017

A Cornucopia of Nonsense

I don't know if I have anything new to add today. I've been slacking lately.

I've been trying to put the random events I have in some kind of order. You know, so I can build a plot or something. So far I have:

  • The ominously buzzing gas station speaker
  • The weird mirror town that seems familiar but isn't
  • Tony wanders off, gets killed, wanders back

And other things can happen in between those. Additionally, I have the temporally homeless:

  • El Stevo - worshipped as a god
  • The hitchhiker -aka- One More Troubled Soul
  • The sheriff - a harbinger of probable doom

I have no idea where those fit in there. Of those, I think the only one I haven't really talked about is the sheriff. That stems from a complicated tale that I'm not going to get into, but as a character he's been floating around for a while, waiting for the right story to call home. I think this might be the one.

Are you at all familiar with Stephen King's Desperation? Either the book or the movie. I saw the movie right after reading the book. They're close enough. Anywhere, there's the cop in that, who's… not a cop? I won't spoil anything, but there's this level of wrongness about the guy that makes you realize you made a pit stop in the entirely wrong town.

That's a decent approximation for the sheriff. You might hope that he's going to help you, but he's probably going to send you to your doom, a place of darkness and insanity.

He probably shouldn't be trusted.

Honestly, all the weird little things I've thought of over the years that never had a proper story to go with just might all end up here, since pretty much anything can happen.

Like hypnic jerks! That's that twitch thing you do when you're about to fall asleep and you feel like you've stepped on a patch of ice. I have a note somewhere that it's what happens when you start to slip into another reality, but catch yourself.

I have pages and pages of random thoughts that could finally mean something. Or maybe they always meant something, and I just didn't know it yet.

  • 7,000 years on the northern front can't be good for business.
  • You're only ever halfway anywhere.
  • Interdimensional hemorrhaging.

Anyone of those could be the key to my plot. Maybe even:

  • I also have pudding around here somewhere… lethal pudding.

Probably not that one.

I'll see you Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment