Friday, October 6, 2017

The Return of Steve (and Other Stories)

The weird things that are going to be encountered in this story just randomly appear in my head, with no rhyme or reason. I carry a little notebook around with me for that very reason. I literally stopped in the middle of what I was doing at work to write the following very important note:

El Stevo - worshipped as a god.

Every story needs a Steve, you know. And as I was wondering if Tony who gets himself killed was going to be the new Steve, I had the above thought. I'm not certain what it means. I'd like to think that there's some town somewhere, in a little pocket of oddness, where this is happening. There's just this guy, named Steve, who tastes the rainbow, who puts foil in the microwave, who doesn't read the warning labels. And for some reason, he's worshipped as a god. Does Steve know about his divinity? I don't know. I guess we'll find out.

What I do know is that there are three friends, one of which is probably a girl. For diversity's sake or whatever. Then there's Tony, and the other guy. Twenty-somethings, maybe just out of college. And they're on a trip somewhere. They're going to have some adventures, then those adventures are going to get weird.

There are a few critical questions that need answering. Why do these things happen to them, of all people? Where are they trying to get, and why? Who will they be by the time they get there? Do they ever make it back to their normal world? And just who are these people, anyway?

I'd like to have an actual outline for this. A plot arc and all that nonsense. Sure, there'll be room for adding in extra things as they arise, but I'd like some overall idea of where it's going. Otherwise it's just a string of random happenings. A series of unnecessary events, if you will.

As it stands, I only have one solid event figured out. Tony gets himself killed (in some horrible way, knowing me), sliding over into a divergent timeline in which he survives, but his friends die (again, probably horribly). Then the friends somehow slip into his reality, and they reunite and return to the prime timeline. But I have no idea where this falls in the grand scheme of the story. It's not the climax, because honestly, it's pretty anticlimactic. I'm also not sure how much time passes between their separation and reunion.

I feel like it should happen somewhat early on, and serve as an indication of just how weird things are getting. Like, prior to that, it's a little odd, but it could be coincidence or their imagination. And then, bam! Tony's back from the dead and anything's possible.

I still need to figure out the climax of the story. It's the pinnacle of peculiar. Ultimate weirdness. Something so convoluted I can't even begin to think about it right now.

I'll see you Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment