Friday, September 1, 2017

Music of the Spheres

We're returning to Mad's Music Corner for something that's actually relevant to the project at hand. That's right: Space Music.

Now, if we wanted to go all futuristic, we'd probably go electronic. We're not going to do that. I'm not a fan of electronic music, and I can't make a soundtrack out of things I don't want to listen to.

It's a little tricky, because I still don’t know what the plot is, but I hope that this can help us get into the world and the characters a little better. And I'll be linking them instead of embedding them, which should help the post load better for anyone with a slower connection.

So without further mindless drivel…

I wonder if my protagonist and antagonist might actually find a way to reconcile at the end, rather than, I don’t know, killing each other. That would be new. This song actually made me realize that that was a possibility.
"How can you feel so lonely if you're not alone?
We'll find a way to get back all the light
So we chase the sun"

I'll be honest, this one's in here largely because I'm a big fan of Breaking Benjamin. But look at that video! So spacy!

If you've never listened to Coheed and Cambria, it's… a little different. They did a series of concept albums in a sci-fi saga, so it came to mind for my space story soundtrack. This one in particular feels like a piece of backstory, related to the tragic events that kick off the main conflict.

This isn't just because I wanted something from the end of the alphabet. It has that something that I want in this story. There's this sense of adventure, but also disillusionment.
"I remember the day, between the past and the pain
We were never afraid of places unknown"

It was much harder to find these songs than I expected. Part of that was probably because I didn't really know what I wanted. And there's a ton of "space" songs that just don't have the feeling I wanted. And again, I didn’t know what that was. One of those "I'll know it when I hear it" type deals.

Building a soundtrack is an important part of story creation. For me, anyway. I can't feel feelings on command, so I cheat. I like to have tunes for different characters and different scenes, so this will be an ongoing project.

And I'll see you Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment