Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Conflicting Ideas

My villain character creation is by no means complete, but I think I have a good idea of what kind of a person she is. I understand her reasoning. The question that is now arising is what is she going to do about it? What actions is she going to take against the protagonist?

Now I know the relationship between the two of them. They were basically family once. Now everything's gone and broken. How far is she going to go? Does she want him miserable, or destroyed?

I might have written myself into a corner here. It's possible that there is no satisfying conflict that I can put in this story. I mean, maybe she gets him kicked out of the Corps (whatever that ends up being), but that feels like some kind of lame-ass young adult plot where the main character gets kicked out of magic school and oh, what do I do now? Then they fight tooth and nail to get back into magic school and it's all very dramatic and I swear I've seen this plot somewhere, but now I can't think of where.

It doesn’t appeal to me. It seems tedious, like I know there's going to be huge chunks where something is supposed to be happening  but I'm just going to want to skip over it. It's why no one ever has a proper job in my stories. There's nothing interesting about "Then they went to work for eight hours." Oh? Did they pack a lunch or go out? No one cares. Workplace fiction is just… *shudder*

Or maybe I'm just not doing it right. That's always a possibility.

So maybe she gets him kicked out of the Corps, and now he's forced to work as a janitor in the bowels of the ship. I don’t know. I need excitement! And adventure! Maybe explosions! Possibly… a plot! But we don't want to get too crazy.

I don't know if I'm going to write this story for  NaNoWriMo. I kind of want something… better, but I don't know if a better idea is going to come along.

That's all for today. I'll see you Friday.

1 comment:

  1. She probably doesn't know what she wants either. I'd wager that she wants him kicked out of the Corps, if that is something he has striven for all of his life. But once she has done that, she won't feel better. She'll want more... misery for him. As long as she is hurting, she probably wants him to hurt as well. She's probably not just a little irritating to him as he rebuilds his life. I'm guessing she throws a wrench in all of his efforts until the point she can't, or they come to some resolution. But you already know all of that.

    ReplyDelete