Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Setting a Foundation for Urban Fantasy

I’ll be honest, most of my time lately is spent on trying to become a real adult, and desperately trying not to be a real adult. So I've been slacking in the writing department. I was trying to do some plotting while I was at work, but people kept coming in and wanting things. Very distracting.

It falls into the realm of urban fantasy, in a contemporary world with supernatural elements. This involves something called the Masquerade, which is the outward appearance that the world is normal. The public at large is unaware that creatures of the night roam the streets or what have you. So I can have an ice cream parlor, but no one knows it's run by vampires. Because that would make people uneasy, to say the least.

This saves me, like, half of world building, since half the world is already, well, built. It's just the supernatural underworld that I need to work on. And of course raises the question of whether there are creatures besides vampires in this world. But that's a slippery slope. First you add werewolves, then ghosts, then rakshasas and shtrigas. Then angels and demons. You get my point. Once you add one thing, it's hard to know where to stop. So I think we'll stick with strictly vampires for now. We can always add later if we have a good reason to.

So have the vampires been living among us for all this time? And we just never noticed? Or were they living in seclusion, and some have only recently joined us? Is that frowned on by the High Vampire Council or whatever? These are the questions. I need the answers.

I also need characters. At the moment, one exists just on the periphery of my brain. It's like the tip of my tongue, but for thoughts instead of words. You can't force these things. Eventually, it'll coalesce into something I can use. I have plenty of other things to worry about in the meantime.

Music, for instance. I love music, as you may have noticed. And most of my stories come with a soundtrack. These are songs I collect because they make me think of a certain character, or plot point, or just set the mood. Sometimes it's just a certain line that sets the whole think into motion. So far, this is the soundtrack of the half-formed tale in my head:


Obviously, I'll add more to the playlist as I add more to the story. Sometimes they'll seem unrelated, but it all make sense to me. That's what matters, right?

Right.

See you… Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment