Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Setting Goals

Whoops, I started writing this in February and then forgot about it. What is time, anyway.

I plotted out about half of the short story I mentioned last time before realizing I wasn't quite sure how it ended. Or how it... climaxed. Then, quite suddenly, I realized the secret that had been eluding me (Sunlight! Windows!) and wrote out a chunk of important dialogue while I was supposed to be sleeping. So this thing is still afloat.

Really, the problem now is that I know the latter part of the story needs a certain amount of… tension, I guess… and I'm not sure that I'll be able to pull it off. So it's a confidence issue. Or imposter syndrome? Probably both. But I'm never going to know, and never going to get any better, if I don't just write the damn thing.

What I'm saying is that 90% of my Writing Troubles are in fact Me Troubles. Lack of motivation, lack of confidence, lack of just sitting down and doing the damn thing.

However, as stated in my previous post, this story is based on a song. And every time I hear it, it's quietly guilting me into writing. How's that story coming? it asks. I don't have a good answer for it. Which is why it's, you know, taken me two months to write this post.

But!

April is Camp NaNo, so it's time to force a deadline on myself and get a first draft knocked out. I've decided it. Just now. I've set a goal. 10,000 words. I don't actually know how long this story will be, but that seems like a good starting place.

Well, it's going to be April in about 15 minutes, so I've got a lot of work to do. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment