Monday, November 9, 2020

It's Fine, Everything Is Fine

So the first week of NaNoWriMo is over. I'm behind schedule. Big surprise there. I guess Past Me had more initiative to sit down and write 50,000 words, and I just don't have that anymore.

Anyway, there's still plenty of time to catch up. It's fine. Assuming I get my shit together.

I've tentatively titled the book The Light in the Dark. You might ask, what does that mean? I'm not entirely sure. I'm hoping that will become clear as I write. It comes from Takida's The Artist, and just seemed like it would mean something in the context of the story.

See the light and you're dead
See the light and you'll fall
See the light and you're dead like her before
See the light in the dark
See the light it's your spell
See the light in the dark,
There's no one you can tell

So… that's going to illuminate (puns!) some part of my novel, that's going to explain why I keep killing all these people. There's maybe a cult? Or a conspiracy? Or subterranean mine monsters? I don't know.

I've now killed off two characters, of the three I know need to die, and I've just now hit 10,000 words. Part of my brain tells me, oh no, you jacked up the pacing and we're going to run out of story. But then the other, crazier part of my brain reminds me that death need not be spaced evenly throughout the book, and I haven't even touched on the subterranean cult conspiracy. So it's all fine, is what I'm saying. I can cause plenty of mayhem to take up words, after I'm done killing people off. Or I can kill more people off.

I'm back, I guess. I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment