Sunday, September 29, 2019

Pulling the World Back Together

Sometimes I reread my old stories. Even riddled with plot holes and bogged down with self-indulgent nonsense, they're not half bad.

Today, I read a short story (10,000 words) that I wrote for Camp NaNo back in 2016. It was a vaguely steampunk world that had been shattered into separate continents that drifted through… space? The science wasn't really a high priority. Anyway, the landmasses were reconnected via cable-car sort of systems that spanned thousands of miles, and the story follows a small town sheriff on the last continent to be connected to the others. He has to deal with the influx of tourists and troublemakers and all that kind of thing.

And it was really good and I never wrote an ending.

I'm not saying I'm going to abandon my NaNoWriMo plans to go back to this story.

I am saying that I kind of want to.

I don't know if I can pull 50,000 words out of it, so I don't think it would be a wise choice, but man, I need to revisit this story sometime. It's funny and full of adventure and teases just enough backstory to make you want to know more without being too vague.

It's just a really good story. And I really want to know how it ends.

I mean, I literally left someone bleeding out on the floor. For three years. I'm kind of a dick.

I don't even know how I would write it as a novel-length story, because it was very episodic, without that much of an overarching plot. It was like... Dude vs the Newcomers, Dude vs the Mad Bomber, Dude vs the downpour (there were ghost stories involved), Dude vs the Homicidal Aristocrat. They were just the things that came up that he had to deal with. It would make a great TV series.

So, I don't know. I'd like to do something with it. It has a lot of good bits without any really bad bits. Some might be kind of meh, but nothing desperately needs cut.

I'm sorry that I'm kind of all over the place with my projects and ideas lately. I'm not exactly at the mercy of the muse, but they do tend to make very insistent suggestions.

I'll be back... sometime. To talk about... something.

No comments:

Post a Comment