Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Making Promises

I haven't been working on anything lately. I have all these things I want to do, all these grand plans… all these murders to commit. Fictionally, speaking, of course. Of course…

That's the downside of all this. It makes me sound like a psycho something.

Anyway, I have the ideas. I just don't have the motivation. I could barely get the motivation to write this post.

The question, then, is what do I do about it.

Much like inspiration, you can't just wait around for motivation. You just have to do it. You have to make it a habit, a routine, and just sit down and do it, even when you don't want to.

As you can see, I haven't mastered that yet.

It's not so hard getting in the habit of doing a thing. Every day, I get home and hang my keys on my backpack so I don't lose them. It's automatic at this point. Doing a physical thing on the regular is one thing. Doing a creative thing is another. Sure, "sit down and write." I can handle that. I sit down here and open up whatever program I'll be writing in. I stretch my fingers and place them on my keyboard.

But now what?

The plan is, I sit down here and don't wait for motivation. I have to write, like it or not. But I'm also not waiting for inspiration. So what the hell am I writing?

That's why I've been resistant to the whole, "sit down and commit to writing" thing. Because if I knew what I wanted to write, I would have written it already. I mean, yeah, I want to write The Long Road, but at this point, it's one scene, a few scattered ideas, and a minefield full of plot holes. I don't even know where to start with it.

Well, I guess it's come down to this. I can keep waffling about and not getting anything done, or I can set up some kind of schedule and just get writing.

You know why I'm still writing this blog? Because two years ago, I said I was going to start a blog, and I wasn't going to give up on it after a couple months. I kept at it because I said I would. And sure, I've had to make some changes to accommodate my schedule, but I'm still here.

So here goes. I'm going to sit down, every day, and write something. Maybe it'll be an outline, or a piece of dialogue, or some description. I will come up with some snippet of creativity. Every day.

And now I have to, because I said I would.

I'll see you on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment