Friday, January 5, 2018

Searching For Inspiration

I'm still not back to posting on time. Yet. I'm considering changing the format a bit. A comment on one of my recent posts mentioned formerly having a blog with one editorial piece and one short story per week. And I'm starting to think I should try something similar. I could talk about something on Tuesdays, and try to implement that something on Fridays.

At least until some NaNo project or another starts up. Then it'll all go to hell, as usual.

I haven't written anything new since the end of November. That's over a month. What have I been doing with my life? Making excuses, mostly. And coming up with random ideas I don't know what to do with. Like, "A handful of people are trapped by a snowstorm. One of them has a secret."

It seems promising, but it's vague enough that I don't really know where to go with it. Most of my ideas are like that. They sound good, and I would totally read a story based off of them, but I don't want to put in the effort to write something myself. I'm being lazy. And it has to stop.

In an effort to accomplish… literally anything, I've just spent about five hours looking at story prompts on Pinterest. And saving a bunch, of course, and doing nothing with them. And then somehow I stumbled upon "regional gothic tumblr," which is possibly the weirdest thing I've found at 3am. It's like… In an area adjacent to a location, you enter the Scary Door, but where you are is Ohio.

So thanks to that, I've got my brain in this very strange liminal space, slipping through the cracks of reality. And then I asked myself, "Hey, self, when is the witching hour?" And oh, look, in European tradition, it's the hour between 3 and 4 am. And here I am. I don't know if this is good or bad. My brain might be thinking some thoughts. Or I may just be tired. Hard to say.

And see, this is why I write the weird shit, with portals, ghosts, vampires, parallel dimensions, psychic detectives, and all of… that. At least at some hours of the night, all of that makes sense to me. Ordinary people doing ordinary things… not so much. It doesn't ignite that spark. Maybe I should take that as a sign.

All I've really accomplished today is wasting time and creeping myself out. I think that's a day well spent.

I'll see you Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment