Friday, March 31, 2017

On the Arrangement of Aquatic Birds

Story writing will commence tomorrow, when Camp NaNo kicks off.

Am I ready?

Well, that's an interesting question that depends entirely on your definition of "ready." Do I have all my characters figured out? Do I have a plot outline? Do I know who the killer is?

Nope.

But am I ready to sit down and throw everything I have at the page?

Absolutely.

That's now NaNoWriMo (and by extension, Camp NaNo) works. Sure, you can get all your ducks in a row before you start. You can have plans and outlines and character studies.  But you can also jump in with half an idea and none of your waterfowl aligned.

Me, I have a couple of ducks in the same vicinity, so I think I'm doing all right. I know how the story begins. I know how we get to the murdery part, and kind of what comes after. Now, my word count goal for all of this is 10,000. That's only 333 per day. So I have enough material for the first few days, at least. I hope.

My characters all have names now. Or something to call them until I think of something better. I have three murder suspects (and three people I'm pretty sure didn't do it). For some reason I've decided that I should design business cards for each character, to showcase their personality and how they portray themselves to the world. I might share them in a future post, if they turn out interesting.

That's really all I have to talk about today. I'm just adding little things here and there so I can get this story off the ground tomorrow.

I'll see you Tuesday, by which point I'll almost certainly have killed someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment