Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Two Parts Heartbreak, One Part Explosions

Something amazing happened yesterday (Monday). I learned some fascinating things about my character. It all started with Reddit. Something mentioned that Jim Croce had died in a plane crash. "Why do so many musicians die in plane crashes?" I asked myself. I mean, Patsy Cline, John Denver, half of Lynyrd Skynyrd… And then I thought, maybe one 1980's (or so) punk rocker got "lucky" and was got help from an unlikely source. Namely, vampires.

So then I was at work, and I suddenly had this whole story going in my head. They're in a plane, on the way to some show. Something goes wrong. They crash in the forest. One survivor. But he's not out of the woods yet, literally or metaphorically. He's not doing so good, but he's going to try to find his way to civilization. Spoiler alert: he's not going to make it. Suddenly, vampires. He has to be turned if he wants to make it out of there more or less alive.

Then on my way home, Skillet's Don't Wake Me came up on my iPod and I realized A) he had a girlfriend, and B) I was going to kill her. My brain makes these leaps on its own; I can't help it.

So there you go. Add ice, stir, and you've got an instant tragic backstory.

And now it's real. It feels real. There's no way for me to explain what that means without sounding crazy, but that's how it is. It's not just a story anymore. It's a whole life, in a whole world, and I've pulled myself into it. And that comes with a visceral, physical feeling. Like I said, crazy.

I still don't know what the main part of the story is about, but now I know something about the character, and hopefully that will lead to the type of tale he might feature in.

Stay tuned!

Oh, also, I've broken 1000 page views. Go me and my incessant talking!

No comments:

Post a Comment