Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Thinking About Writing

I haven't done a lot of writing lately. That's the short answer for why I haven't posted in a while.

I did write a piece of flash fiction (it's a couple hundred words, I think) that I'll be putting on Instagram eventually, but it requires some artistic steps before that's ready. I'd like to start writing more, again, but I have to actually work on making that a habit. Otherwise I think about doing it, but don't actually ever do it.

The vampire novel is kind of in Limbo right now. Or Purgatory. I'm not a hundred percent sure of the difference. Anyway, I haven't been actively doing anything with it, just sort of passively hoping inspiration will strike. That's not working, if you're wondering. Part of the reason I haven't put a lot of effort into it is that it involves several murders in a college town. And if you're from my area, you may have heard in the news lately about… several murders in a college town. So it seems kind of insensitive to write it right now, despite the fact that no one will read this novel for quite some time.

Maybe I'm just making excuses. I probably am, considering that my 2020 NaNo novel was literally based on three actual deaths that actually happened in the area. Clearly I am not above this.

I have also gotten distracted with the allure of rewriting one of my other NaNo novels: The Long Road, from 2017. It's a road trip story in which three friends take a wrong turn into the Twilight Zone. Or the Outer Limits. One of those.

The problem with both of these revision possibilities is that there is a not insubstantial chunk of them that's just like, "Okay, take this, but make it better." It’s a very vague goal. I don’t have any ideas on how to make it better.

And this is why I want to get back in the habit of writing on the regular. I just want to be putting out something. Could be a short story. Could be some brainstorming. Could be a character profile. I just need to get those mental gears turning.

We'll see if I can actually do it, instead of just thinking about doing it.

I'll see you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment