Thursday, November 7, 2019

Lost in Space

NaNoWriMo is underway and my god I am not prepared.

I told myself I wouldn't get behind again. I'm already behind. I've got all these ideas and somehow… no words.

Well, not no words. I have a few words. Some of them are ridiculous, and therefore, my favorite words.

Case in point, this piece of inspired literature:

The Captain of the Corps was a man of about fifty, with an authoritative moustache. Men would follow that moustache into hell itself. His name (the man, not the moustache) was Reginald Shepard. His friends called him Reg. His subordinates called him Captain. His moustache called him home.

Fucking amazing.

In other news, my "terrorist" group is called the Coniurati Spei. That's "conspirators of hope." That's a joke from my Elementary Latin class from, like, 14 years ago. I don’t think I can explain why it's funny. It just is. Because it's not the right answer? Anyway.

My plot is progressing much too quickly. Why? Because I had some of the major plot beats figured out, but nothing to go in between them. So once I hit one beat, I don't know where to go, and just go straight into the next one. Fuck. I should have planned this better. I had a year! I'm already coming into Act 2, which should be at, like, the 25% percent mark. But I only have about 4,000 words. Which means if I continue at this pace, I'm going to end up with a 16,000 word book. That's not even a novella. It's just a wordy short story.

I should have planned this better.

Even with the inclusion of cannibals, there's not going to be enough here. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. For the moment, I'm just pushing on through, just trying to get that word count up. I keep saying I'll figure out the plot issue later. I'll figure out stuff to add.

But there's just nothing there. This is a really boring story with flat boring characters, and I don't know how to fix it.

It's Day 5, and I'm already at the part of the project where I realize that I'm just a bad writer. Already. This is not a good sign.

*

I return to you now, at the end of Day 7, and I'm feeling a little bit better about it. I'm still behind. I'm still not going to have enough words, the way I'm going. But the writing isn't total shit. I'm starting to feel something for the characters, and I'm having ideas of some things to add later.

I've been working on this post for literally a week, because writing absolutely everything is hard. So I'm just going to go ahead and post this.

I'll see you… Next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment