Thursday, June 20, 2019

A Glimmer of Hope

Guess what?

I have had the most important breakthrough in the nearly three year history of Cold Blooded. I have done something I feared I would never be able to accomplish.

I named my god damn town.
Here's the stupid thing:

Every time I tried to come up with a name, something popped into my head, and I said, "Yes, like that. But not that, because we can't call it that." Well, guess what, kids. We can call it that. And we are calling it that.

Fort Hope.

It's the name of a band, that's where I heard it. So no one would ever name a town that, surely. Except it's the name of several places in Canada. So I finally quit talking myself out of it and just went with my first instinct.

The in-universe reason it was called that was because back in the 1860s, it was established as a trading post, right where travellers finally made their way down out of the treacherous mountains and into the promised land of rolling green prairies.

While this ultimately does nothing to help me with the plot and the characters, it does feel like a weight has been lifted, just from figuring this out. Like everything will be okay now, because if I can solve this problem, I can solve any problem.

Unfortunately, the problems I have been solving are not for Cold Blooded.

Remember my space story, that I mucked around with, but never wrote? If not, I don't blame you. I don't think I've mentioned it since the end of 2017. I set it aside because I couldn't quite figure out what to do with it. Well, guess what. I suddenly figured out the event that kicks off the main conflict, and how different characters would be involved. Like I've said before, I always have ideas for the things I'm not working on.

But never fear, I won't be forsaking Cold Blooded for this new project. Not now, anyway. I hope to just scribble down all these new ideas, and then write the book for NaNoWriMo in November. With this much advance notice, maybe I'll get to 50,000 words again. For now, the focus is still on vampires. Stay focused.

Staaaay focused.

I'll see you next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment