Friday, May 31, 2019

What Does It All Mean?

I started this post like two weeks ago. Sorry it took me so long to finish. I've been busy.

So last time I mentioned Theme as part of the Holy Trinity of storytelling, along with Plot and Character. (This wasn't my idea, I got it from K.M. Weiland.)

Since the past two posts revolved around plot, and then character, it seems appropriate to tackle theme today. Trouble is, I don't really understand theme.

It's one of those things that make high schoolers hate English class. You can't just read a book. You have to deconstruct it, figure out all the symbolic subtext, and then write an essay on the underlying theme. It's this nebulous thing that seems pretty subjective, but your English teacher assures you that there is a right answer.

Google defines theme as: an idea that recurs in or pervades a work of art or literature.

Okay, simple enough. But what is the theme of my particular story? What is it really about? Not just murder, surely. I mean, I only kill, like, five people, give or take. Maybe ten.

Now, I'm a fairly intelligent and reasonably educated person. But I remember those high school English classes, and those books with their incomprehensible "themes" that were clearly "there" amidst all the "symbolism." And I was sure then that I'd never be smart enough to write a book where the color of curtains means depression and it all adds up to the book being about loneliness or some damn thing, while the main plot seems to be about something else entirely. It's like trying to write a letter with a secret message in it, using the first letter of each sentence, while trying to make it look like a normal message. Trust me, I've done it.

I have an inkling as to what my theme might be, but then high school me reminds me that I'm a dummy, and could never figure that out. High school me is kind of a bitch.

As far as I can tell, the theme of Cold Blooded has something to do with being human. Which perhaps seems strange, considering the main character is a vampire. But really, all he is trying to do, amidst the murder and mayhem, is live a normal life and do normal human things. Human things like moving forward, rather than staying stuck in your past, because humans are mortal, and have to keep moving, because there's no time. This is what drives the character's development.

If ever I get this damn thing published, and someone has to write an essay on it, this is the answer right here. I'm telling you, no matter what anyone else tries to read into it, this is the theme. You're welcome.

Not that I expect this would get taught in schools. It's just not that kind of book. For one thing, it says "fuck" a lot. And it's a cheap piece of genre fiction, not exactly "classic" material.

But I digress.

So I have characters, and I have most of a plot, and I have a theme. Really, each of those things should help fill in the gaps in the others. The theme informs how the characters will proceed through the plot. At least, that's how it should work.

Then I'll just, I don't know, make the curtains symbolically blue, just so I seem deep.

I'll see you.. Next week? Probably. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment