Wednesday, July 4, 2018

A Story About Something

Writing Desks and Ravens: Freedom Edition.

And what's more free than freewriting?

I've started writing for Camp NaNo. I still have pretty much no idea what it's about. Some kind of Lovecraftian horror, I guess, judging from what I have.

Basically, I started with a single scene that popped into my head. This one tiny moment. Just… this:
Blood seeped through his fingers as he lay in the grass. In the dim light, the indistinct form of the creature edged closer. He was done for. There was no escaping now.

The thing was only six feet from him. It could have turned and finished him off. But it didn’t. It kept moving, right on past him. He wasn’t a threat anymore. He was already dead.
It starts with that, and then jumps back in time, some days or weeks before that. Here, a guy is having a terrible, albeit ordinary, day. And somehow, I'm going to get it back around to the starting point. I'm making it up, literally as I go, planning maybe a paragraph or two in advance.

It feels like I'm going 60 through a dense fog. I may be about to crash into something, but I won't know until it's too late. I'm dropping Final Destination style foreshadowing about unobtrusive objects that might kill people in a series of unlikely events, but I don't know when or if that's going to rear its inauspicious head.

Now there's something about a cult and a missing person and I just don't know what's going on. I kind of know the event that will take place right before the scene I started with, but I'm interested to see how I'm going to get there from where I am.

I'm going to cut this post short and get back to writing. I'm actually enjoying it, and who knows how long that will last.

I'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment