Friday, August 25, 2017

Grinding Gears

The quest for character creation continues. Today we're going to talk about those little things that people hate: pet peeves. Now, I'm only going to say that phrase once, because I hate it, for some reason. I think that's one of those things that people call "ironic" but is actually something else.

Anyway, I think dislikes are just as interesting as likes. What drives a person to hate something? Why do those things bother them? Are they like me, in that they just dislike the thing and don't have or remember a reason behind it? Did someone once do or say the thing, it all went bad, and now that experience has ruined the thing for them forever?

Whenever this subject comes up, the first thing I think (aside from hating the phrase) is "X doesn't like people who don't do dishes." This was a character that someone made up. Not me. I wish I could remember who it was, or where this character came from. And why they didn't like people who don't do dishes.

So what bothers Elsbeth? Is it when people don't show up on time? Or when someone mispronounces "mischievous"? Or any use of the word "frugal"?

It can be literally anything. It doesn't even need to be relevant to the plot. But that opens up further questions. If it's not relevant to the plot, why is it there? And if it is relevant, isn't that a bit convenient that the one thing that bugs the shit out of her just so happens to be part of the central conflict? Is there going to be a whole subplot where someone keeps doing the thing, and it's driving her further into villainy? "I swear, if one more person says 'expecially'…"

That might be the way to do it. These little things set up minor conflicts that get in the way of the character's goal. "No, I can't work with that guy, his nose makes this whistling sound when he breathes." And then they have to find a new ally, because nose-whistle guy just won't do.

This is one of those things on character questionnaires that I usually skip over because it doesn't seem important. And also because I hate the phrase. But now I'm trying to actually fill in all those answers. Because real people have all kinds of facts about them that aren't important, and I'm trying to make a character that seems like a real person.

And I know, I've been working on this stupid character creation for a month, and I'm still nowhere near done. I have no excuse for that, other than I just haven't been sitting down and working on it daily like I should. I'm going to try to get it finished this weekend.

And I'll see you Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment