Tuesday, February 28, 2017

A Murder is Announced

I've finally made some progress on my characters for this murder mystery. I couldn't sleep the other night, so I did the obvious thing and started plotting a murder. As you do.

So far, there's:

  • The Proprietress - Regretfully, she informs guests as they arrive that the internet's a bit on the fritz.
  • The Psychic - He doesn't know what he can do yet, apparently. He'll find out soon enough.
  • The Nightingale - Due to past experience, she has a bit of a complex about helping people.
  • The Couple - Newlyweds, on their honeymoon. Or so they say.
  • The Killer - May be one of the above. May be someone else.
  • The Victim - Is dead. Poor them.

I'll need a few more characters, maybe. They'll all meet one autumn weekend at the delightfully quaint Something Something Inn, where misfortunes will abound. The rocky little island is cut off from the mainland by inclement weather. Someone ends up dead. But who could have done it? Is the killer still among them? Probably. There's no one to help these unfortunate vacationers, so they have no choice but to help themselves. Is it going to end well for them? What do you think?

I still don't have much in the way of a plot, and those sort of pesky little details. But I have a summary that sounds cooler than the story will probably be, and that’s a great start. Or it makes it sound like I'm accomplishing something at least.

So what do you think? Does that sound like a story you’d like to read? I'm going to write it either way, but I'm just curious. Slightly paranormal murder mystery. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

Doesn't it?


Title Source: A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie

4 comments:

  1. It does to me. I'd read it. I'm into the *slightly* paranormal. Time travel. Mind reading. Maybe a vampire or two. This sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having lived most of my life on island, I can rightly say inclement weather absolutely cuts off the smaller islands from civilization. Also, creepy things do happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So when it comes to creepy islands, put your best foot forward.

      Delete
  3. I'd go out on a limb and say one should toe the line when creepiness is afoot.

    ReplyDelete