Friday, October 14, 2016

A Simulacrum of Sense

Sometimes it's not about what you say. It's about what you might have said.

Cryptic, no?

There's a site that someone linked on Facebook forever ago (and then moved on from like a normal person) that takes your past posts, and jumbles them up to give you something that sounds like something you'd say. I have it bookmarked. Every so often, I'll go there, and save the best ones.

Sometimes they're incoherent nonsense (that definitely sounds like me at 3am), sometimes they're kind of profound (that sounds like me at 4am). I'll give you a few examples, edited slightly for grammar.

  • I'm very suspicious of how easy that math is to do, and airplane feet.
  • But then I try to figure out 15 things about myself sometimes…
  • But then I went to high school? No, why did I become unstuck again.
  • Looks like octopus all over again.
  • I'm up in Italy, someone with the occasional lurkers wandering in.
  • They haven't got bacon, eggs, toast, combinations thereof… Everything’s cooked in the future.

Sometimes I go way off the deep end…

  • Slipknot consists of it has since jumped ship and is hiding in comments and remember a recording of the month, I had time for a grape? Well it was, Waddinxveen, pretty much in the veterans, and OH MY GOD no!

But sometimes I just get deep:

  • If you could have any last November.

I don't know why, but that one has been sticking in my head lately. Is it because November is when NaNoWriMo is? Maybe. But the question is, of all the Novembers you've ever had, which would you choose to be your last?

In my upcoming NaNo novel, there's a critical piece of backstory that occurs in November of 1989. This is when the main character loses his friends, girlfriend, and old life, and finds himself as a vampire. How's that for a last November. He's had nearly thirty Novembers since then. But given the chance, would he choose to go back to that one?

I haven't made a lot of progress on the whole plot thing, so now I'm just reading way too much into things that don't matter. I need to go make some more characters or something, so I actually have something to write about.

See you Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment