Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Dearly Departed

Today's Mad's Music Corner is going to depress the shit out of you. I've had this one percolating in the back of my mind for a while, but I wasn't sure when to break it out, since it's a bit of a downer compared to my usual fare. It just, I don't know, seemed like the right time. Today, we're going to talk about loss. Or rather, we're going to talk about songs that talk about loss.

Scarlet White - So Young

I first heard this in April of 2015. About two weeks before that, a friend of mine died, rather unexpectedly. This was someone I had worked with, whom I got into NaNoWriMo. After NaNo '14, we started talking about him becoming my co-ML for NaNo '15, and all the crazy things we would do. So one day, we had these plans brewing, and then all the sudden, he was gone. "Why Mad," you might say, "I didn't know that." No, you didn't. No one did. I didn't tell anyone all of this. This song actually made me cry the first time I heard it, and that’s not something I readily admit to. Even now, every time I hear it, it reminds me.

Escape the Fate - Picture Perfect

Overall, this one fits with our theme. But I want to draw your attention to a particular line. It’s a pretty generic line, but it's what stands out today. "Life goes on without you." It reminded me of something I heard in class once. I tried to find the notebook, in case I’d written it down, but I have a lot of old notebooks… so I'll have to go from memory. It was in Military History, probably back in '07 or '08, and the prof was talking about Jack Kipling (son of writer Rudyard Kipling), who was presumably killed in WWI. He said something along the lines of, "and then Jack Kipling was gone, and the world kept going." It's the most disheartening thing to realize that although a loss can destroy a limited group of people, the world at large doesn’t care, and just keeps on turning.

Noctura - Gone Away

This is a cover of an Offspring song, but I think it's worth sharing for its own merit. It's a much, I don't know, softer delivery than the original, what with the piano and the female vocals. It's a much more tragic sound. As a general rule, I don't really go for female vocalists. I'm not sure why. There's just not a lot of them in my music library. But I would (and have) listen to this on repeat. It’s just a fantastic song all around.

All right, that's all I have for today. Tune in Friday for something a little more upbeat. Probably. If there's anything you’d like me to write about, feel free to leave a comment, and I'll see what I can do.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I learned this from DR. Dre. If a song does not grab you in the first 3-5 seconds you probably wont listen hence channel surfing or searching through a radio station probably the reason certain beats are used over and over. Unfortunately I did not have the same connection you had with the first song but the offspring cover was awesome and escape was pretty cool so again Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete